Tuesday 14 February 2012

Romanticism vs Safety Pins

Good evening on this ‘happy day of futile mass consumerism’ so many people choose to celebrate. Yeah, you might’ve guessed I’d be against this seemingly insignificant excuse of trying to outdo others in mindlessly purchasing redundant gifts and greetings cards for a loved one.

As you probably know by now, I’d be lying if I said I’m not a cynic, however Valentine’s Day is a concept I have never truly understood, my main problem with it being that everything about it seems disposable and fake. From flowers, to homemade meals, to cheap chocolate and tacky greeting cards, (which at best will be kept in the bottom draw to gather dust) - let’s face it, most gifts are either going to rot in your guts or in the bin several days later.

Obviously there is nothing I can do or say on the matter which will change this, other than to take the nihilistic approach and attempt to deny its existence - a tactic which I have blatantly failed at this year, given the premise of this entire post.

Anyway, whilst taking my usual route of studying which involves distracting myself from uni work, I have passively compiled a short list of punk songs somewhat relating to (or even vaguely mentioning) love, in order to commemorate this day I am categorically not in favour of.  In no particular order (and off the top of my head) here’s a select few I’d recommend for others against this day.

Public Image Ltd – This is Not a Love Song
A self-explanatory and admittedly lazy choice made by me to feature this song, but nevertheless still a paramount example, despite it obviously not having love as the subject.

Stiff Little Fingers – Barbed Wire Love
A song Jake Burns regularly describes it as an attempt to throw all Stiff Little Fingers clichés together, Barbed Wire love features the mentioning of love in a ridiculously destructive yet slightly comical form 
Best line: ‘The night was rife with wasteland light, you set my arm alight.’

Patrik Fitzgerald – Safety Pin Stuck in my Heart
From Fitzgerald’s first EP, the self-proclaimed “love song for punk music” has to be one of my favourites.
Best line: ‘I don’t love you for your many reasons, propaganda, doctrines, treasons’.

The Clash- Ooh Baby Ooh
A studio outtake from Give ‘Em Enough Rope, Ooh Baby Ooh features the backing track which was later used for the infectious Gates of the West. It is also speculated to originally be an early song from Mick Jones’ London SS days. 
Best line: ‘But you threw my records down the stairs, put the phone out in the hall, so I can’t call.’

UK Subs – Rock ‘n’ Roll Whore
Taken from last year’s punk masterpiece Work In Progress, Rock ‘n’ Roll Whore once again raises the ever-pending question of how the fuck Charlie Harper can still pull it off after all these years?

No comments:

Post a Comment