Thursday 22 December 2011

Do you wanna make tea at the BBC?

Print is dying. Journalists are the third least-trusted professionals, falling only behind politicians and estate agents. Hardly an optimistic attitude to have drilled into your brain in the first ever journalism lecture, but I guess that's what makes us British - getting the fragments of hope smashed out of us before we start building our careers. Providing us with the mindset to get our heads down and 'get on with it.' Or just maybe providing some of us with the will to fight back, to stand up and be counted and most importantly to fight for what we believe in.

I could write for days about my passion for punk music, my love of The Clash, and how seeing Mick Jones playing a whole set of Clash songs exactly three weeks ago was the best night of my life - but I think all will become apparent in due course.

I watched a documentary on channel 4 last night - about a man who was a compulsive hoarder, he'd collected 34 years worth of newspapers and stored them all in his modestly sized bungalow. He had to crawl under a door frame to get to his kitchen as the newspapers were stored that high, he slept in a chair, and it took him half an hour to get from the kitchen to the front door. But what really fascinated me was the way in which he refused to tell people he lived in the house, he responded that he merely 'existed' there. I suppose that's how I feel right now, I don't feel that I'm living yet, I've not even scratched the surface of the earth. This is something I am desperate to change.

Why today then? Why on this inexplicably mild Thursday 22nd December would I finally decide to push aside the procrastination, and raucously scramble away at the keyboard of a beaten up laptop? Two reasons: Firstly, because I'm in my final year at uni, and things are starting to get a bit serious now. Secondly, and most importantly because today is special to me (and millions of others.) Yes, today marks the 9th anniversary of Joe Strummer's untimely death, and if there's one thing I have learnt from him which I can take through to the end of my existence then it's the 'get up and go attitude' he kicked into the faces of anyone who would listen. Today is perfect.

Here it is then; general colloquialisms hopefully slotted in-between some half decent articulate writings about things that matter to me: A girl.

"Let's do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment