Thursday 22 December 2011

"Without people you're nothing"

I couldn't let the day pass without another mention of Joe Strummer.

I started off the day listening to a community radio station based in Detroit-Windsor, who were hosting an entire 24 hours dedicated to entirely to Joe. They were shocked to be hearing via facebook that they were attracting listeners from places as far away as California, so when I posted my location I instantly received an 'amazing' response from them. I think that word just sums up the wonders of this age of instant communication.

A personal highlight for today was just seeing all the tributes pouring in on my twitter news feed. Seeing just how much the man means to so many people is phenomenal, there's no other way to describe it. Amongst the slightly chaotic tributes I somehow managed to get retweeted by Strummerville which added to my general motivation of the day.

I read a piece on The Clash Blog yesterday about how Joe would not be happy with the state of the world right now, and as usual I couldn't agree more with it. But the fact that on a day like today so many people can stand up and give their views on a man who helped to make the world a better place, and that we can access these views and instantly communicate with like-minded people all over the world stands for a little glimmer of hope.

Sadly, and rather annoyingly there were no events taking place in my home city of Birmingham. This is something I plan to change next year, there's no way I'm letting the 10th anniversary pass this city by quietly.

This one's for you Joe, thanks.



‎"Don't forget you're alive. 'Cause sometimes when you walk around the city and you're in a bad mood, you can think, hey, wait a minute, we're alive! We don't know what the next second will bring and what a fantastic thing this is. This can get easily forgotten in the routine of life, and that's something I'm trying bring to my attention at all times. Don't forget you're alive, we're not dead, you know, this is the greatest thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment